Monday, May 3, 2010

Hollywood: How Could It Hurt You When It Looks So "Good"?

The infamous Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt (Spiedi, to those pop culture junkies) went into hiding for nine weeks. That might as well have been a decade for the couple that drools over fame and calls their own paparazzi as they make spectacles of themselves in public. Nine weeks, and then the buzz about Montag’s People cover grew to an astonishing volume.

On Nov. 20, 2009 in just one day, Montag, 23, received 10 plastic surgeries that resulted — she claims — in a near death experience in which Montag said, "I had too much Demerol like Michael Jackson did. My breathing was five breaths per minute, which is like almost dead." The $30,000 surgical makeover included chin reduction, mini brow lift, nose job revision, botox in forehead and frown area, fat injections in cheeks, nasolabial folds and lips, neck liposuction, ears pinned back, liposuction on waist, hips and inner and outer thighs, buttock augmentation and breast augmentation revision. These noted surgeries were the only ones that Pratt “allowed” his wife to get.

The cover of People read “addicted to plastic surgery,” which Montag denies. In her defense, Montag said, “none of those people know me at all. And that's just a judgment. I'm not addicted. If you're addicted to something, you have to do it all the time, not once every couple years, if even.” Yet Montag then goes on to say that she wants even bigger breasts than her already triple D, "I like the F. I actually want H for Heidi."

Tom Horvath, a psychologist who operates an addiction treatment center in La Jolla, Calif. Says, "The pleasure you get from having people think you're beautiful isn't quite the same as intoxication from a substance, but it's similar enough that I'm willing to consider this a potentially addictive behavior.” According to dictionary.com, addiction is the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma. By looks of Montag’s new face, severe trauma was definitely caused.

Along with the public backlash of Montag’s new look, celebrities have not been shy about voicing their opinions. Actress Emmy Rossum twittered, “It upsets me to see young women in the spotlight advocating plastic surgery. ANY surgery is extremely dangerous & should not be taken lightly, much less, used as a tool to increase notoriety or popularity.” When confronted with the thought that her plastic surgery addiction might cause young girls to take the risk and alter their looks as well, Montag feels she’s not to blame. “Young girls who want to get it would get it regardless," said Montag.

Whether Montag is to blame or not, plastic surgery procedures are on the rise for teenagers and young women. According to statistics from the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, or ASAPS, Americans spent nearly $12 billion on more than 10 million cosmetic procedures in 2008. And that was during a severe economic downturn. More than 160,000 procedures were performed on youths 18 and under in 2008. By comparison, fewer than 60,000 procedures were performed on the 18-and-under set in 1997. “I would never have done more than three or four. What worries me is the commentary she is making to young girls. My young girl looks up to her and likes her. What message is she sending to young girls?” asked Dr. Robert Rey from Dr. 90210.

Although Pratt is usually made out to be the bad guy in every situation he finds himself in (The Hills, anyone?) he actually tried to stop Montag from getting the surgeries. "Anytime I hinted that it might be a little much or if I just asked if she was sure, I even felt like I was crossing lines. I'm not in charge of what she does with any part of her body. I'm her husband – not her owner,” said Pratt.

During an interview for her new CD, which just happened to debut the same week as the People cover, Montag was asked if she thought she had gone too far, to which she replied, "I would know when I have gone too far. I know now that for a long time I'm good and it's just maintenance. As I get older I'll probably keep up with it. I definitely think that enough is enough. This is as far as I want to go for a long time. I don't want to look like Cat Lady." Some say the resemblance is impeccable between Montag and “The Cat Lady” who has had $4 million worth of plastic surgery.

While Montag was fighting off criticism of her “new look” she was also out promoting her debut album, “Superficial.” Oh, the irony. Montag spend $2 million and three years making the album so naturally she compares her “work of art” to that of Michael Jackson’s. “I wanted it to be back to the Thriller days, to that kind of sound. Its timeless music, so whenever it comes out was the right timing. But I’ve spent as much time–maybe more, even–than Thriller,” claimed Montag.

Even with her highly publicized magazine cover and countless TV segments, Montag’s album debuted to dismal 658 copies sold. Guess she really measured up to Jackson’s Thriller. While promoting her album on Good Morning America, Montag was asked to sing something live to which she said, “I'd rather not, I just got a lot of surgeries, so my jaw is still very delicate.” If anyone in their right mind was shocked at how few copies Montag’s album sold, that last quote should clear up any confusion one might have not only about her album but also about Heidi Montag herself.



No comments:

Post a Comment